140 Everyday Uses for Coconut Oil
You must have heard a lot about it but coconut oil does not have to be a miracle oil or a cure-all for it to work wonders in people’s lives. You will be surprised to know that some individuals have turned to it for almost anything and everything they have thought it can make better. And so, you will find that it can be great for the hair, skin, your overall health, weight loss, diabetes, wrinkle prevention, soap making, and even cooking.
The fact that it is extremely versatile and beneficial is more than enough to make it worth your while. You will find that some will work for you while others will not, but you can certainly take advantage of its many uses. Here are 140 helpful uses for coconut oil in your daily life:
1. Teeth and bones. Coconut oil helps in calcium and magnesium absorption that it leads to better teeth and bones development.
2. Breastfeeding. Mothers who consume 3 and a half tablespoons of coconut oil on a daily basis have an enriched milk supply.
3. Digestion. Coconut oil contain saturated fats that aid in the control of fungi and parasites that typically cause indigestion or irritable bowel syndrome.
4. Insulin support. It supports the secretion of insulin as well as the utilization of blood glucose in the body; great for diabetics and non-diabetics.
5. Nose bleeds. Coconut oil helps prevent nose bleeds caused by extreme cold or heat. Put it on your nostrils to strengthen the capillaries in your nasal passages.
6. Stress reliever. Relieve stress by massaging some in your head in a circular motion. The natural aroma will soothe you and relieve you of your stress.
7. Lung function. Coconut oil can enhance the fluidity of various cell surfaces in your body including the lungs.
8. Nutrient absorption. Vitamins A, E, D, and K are examples of fat-based nutrients that can be easily absorbed by the body through coconut oil.
9. Improved mental cognition. Coconut oil allows medium chain triglycerides to pass the blood-brain barrier freely and makes available an alternate energy source for improvement in mental cognition.
10. Weight management. The saturated fats in coconut oil also aid in keeping cravings at bay and facilitating weight loss.
11. Cholesterol levels. It attends to individuals with high cholesterol levels by improving the “good” cholesterol to “bad” cholesterol ratio.
12. Colds and flu. Coconut oil relieves colds and flu by acting as an anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial agent.
13. Diabetes. Take it to stabilize blood sugar levels as well as tone down cravings especially for sweets.
14. Age spots. Apply coconut oil to help fade traces of age spots or liver spots.
15. Baldness. When combined with rosemary, lavender, thyme, grapeseed, jojoba oil, cedar wood and some cayenne pepper, coconut oil massaged on the scalp can activate cell regeneration in the affected area. Apply thrice a day or before bedtime.
16. Body scrub. Enjoy an all-natural body scrub with salt and coconut oil. Simply rub then rinse off for that smooth skin and healthful afterglow.
17. After shave. Coconut oil is perfect for razor burns. Help your skin to heal after a shave without clogging your pores.
18. Sun burn. Get instant relief from sun burn by rubbing a generous amount of coconut oil in the affected area.
19. Bruise. Bruises tend to heal faster when applied with coconut oil. Redness and swelling will be reduced.
20. Bug bites. Coconut oil can provide you relief from bug bites by getting rid of the burning and itching sensation. You will see that the healing process will be faster.
21. Stretch marks. It ain’t no magic cure, but coconut oil can help nourish the skin especially damaged areas.
22. Eye cream. Use coconut oil as a day or night cream around the eyes. Apply it on the lids at night. Also dab under the eyes to soothe eye bags or puffiness and help minimize wrinkles.
23. Facial wash. Make your own natural face wash by combining equal parts of coconut oil with almond oil, castor oil, olive oil and avocado oil. Wet your face with water, rub in the mixture, then leave it on for at least 2 minutes before rinsing.
24. Hair treatment. Coconut oil has been proven great for hair that it can be found in a number of commercial products. But one tablespoon alone of this versatile oil is enough to deeply penetrate the hair from roots to tips as a treatment.
25. Lip balm. It will soften your lips and its got about SPF 4 as well for protection against the sun.
26. Massage oil. Definitely, your massage session will never be the same without coconut oil. It seeps deep through to soothe those tired limbs and moisturize your skin.
27. Nipple cream. It can be real nourishing for those dry, sore, or cracked nipples. You can put coconut oil on a cotton ball and leave it on.
28. Acne. Here is an acne skin fix that will deal with that oily T-zone or oily skin. Apply a pea-sized amount of coconut oil to your skin so it gets moisturized, reducing stimulation of your oil glands in the process and prevents clogging of pores that eventually cause acne.
29. Cradle cap. Baby’s scalp can be dry but coconut oil can help nourish it until the cradle cap is eliminated. Gently massage oil on his or her scalp everyday.
30. Dandruff control. Moisturize dry skin and relieve the symptoms of dandruff by allowing coconut oil to seep into your scalp. This will help control the secretion of oil that is one of the leading causes of dandruff.
31. Hair defrizzer. Do you have wavy or curly hair and you want it straightened out? You can rub some coconut oil between your palms and finger comb it through your hair from the scalp to the tips.
32. Deodorant. As a standalone, coconut oil can be an efficient deodorant. Mix it with cornstarch or arrowroot powder plus baking soda and you have a more effective combination.
33. Scrapes and cuts. To speed up the healing process for bruises, apply coconut oil on the wound and it will repair the damaged tissues and form a protective layer against bacteria, dust, and virus.
34. Moisturizer. Most lotions in the market are water-based and tend to dry out the skin more. Meanwhile, putting on coconut oil all over, including your face and neck, will truly moisturize the whole body.
35. Lubricant. Yes, coconut oil is your all-natural lubricant that is safe for personal use.
36. Make-up remover. No need for a separate make up remover as you can just swab a cotton dipped in coconut oil to your face and you have a chemical-free beauty trick.
37. Pre-shave treatment. To prepare your skin from forthcoming damage resulting from shaving, generously apply it to the area.
38. Diaper rash. Dab baby’s bum with coconut oil to protect it from or as a safe relief from diaper rash. You can leave it on overnight and it won’t irritate the skin.
39. Skin conditioner. Coconut oil provides that much desired relief from various skin problems including eczema, psoriasis, and dermatitis.
40. Swimmer’s ear. Too much exposure to water especially frequent swimming can infect the ears. In this case, you can mix coconut and garlic oil together then use it as ear drops. Let it stay for 10 minutes and do it as often as twice to thrice a day. Alleviation comes within 1-2 days.
41. Tattoo recuperation. For new tattoos, coconut oil can help speed up your recuperation as well as prevent the onset of infection. For old ones, utilize it like a moisturizer to maintain the vividness of the pigments.
42. Toothpaste. There are many ways to do a toothpaste recipe but the simplest is mixing coconut oil with baking soda. Put some on your toothbrush and enjoy a natural sensation.
43. Wrinkle cream. Coconut oil is great for wrinkle prevention. It can even help reduce wrinkles that are already there. When applied often, it will strengthen those connective tissues or the skin that has sagged. You can still bring your youth back.
44. Hay fever and allergies. Rub some coconut oil inside the nostrils to allow the pollen to cling to the oil. This will give you quick relief.
45. Circumcision. It can help hasten the healing process.
46. Decongestant. To congest from allergies or a cold, rub oil in a massage-like motion on the chest then under the nose.
47. Genital warts. On its own, genital warts may go away after two years but within that time period, an application of topical coconut oil can be a big help.
48. Chewing gum remover. Rub oil over the chewing gum that could be stuck on the hair. Let it seep for 30 minutes then roll the gum over to get it out.
49. Goo remover. The paste should consist of baking soda and coconut oil. Apply the mix to the targeted area then let it soak for a few minutes. Scrub it off using any brush or sponge.
50. Insect repellent. You will need peppermint oil extract mixed with coconut oil to start. Rub it on exposed skin to keep mosquitoes or insects away. Safe way to ward them off.
51. Polishing bronze. Put a few drops of coconut oil in a cotton towel and wipe those bronze materials that need to be polished. It does not only clean but also helps deepen the color.
52. Polishing furniture. Just add a few drops of lemon juice with coconut oil and you can use this mixture to polish wood furniture.
53. Soap making. Coconut oil makes an effective pure base and it also add hardness to the soap. This is the component that breaks down grease and oils.
54. Heartburn. Taking 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil can help coat your stomach and provide soothing relief from this condition. It also eliminates that bitter after taste.
55. Eczema and psoriasis. Rub coconut oil on affected areas to moisturize the skin. Coconut oil can also provide antibacterial action to prevent secondary infection caused by bacteria or fungi.
56. Shinier coat for dogs. Need a healthier shine for your dogs? Give 2 teaspoons to dogs weighing less than 30 pounds and 1 tablespoon if they are above this weight. This would moisturize their skin to give them a more lustrous shine.
57. Kitchen appliances lubricant. Spread a thin layer over the blades of kitchen appliances to keep them smooth and sharp. Ensure that you store them in a cool, dry place so that the layer stays firm and adherent.
58. Eyelash enhancement. Apply a few drops of coconut oil to your eyelashes every night. The proteins in the oil help with the growth and moisture content of the hair.
59. Bicycle chain grease. If you are an environmentalist and still want to keep your bike chain running smoothly, you can spread a thin layer of coconut oil on this part.
60. Ringworm. This typically presents as O-shaped patches with raised scaly borders that expand peripherally and clear centrally. To fight this, rinse the affected area with coconut oil 3 rimes a day, after cleaning it with water and patting it dry.
61. Makeup brush cleaner. Dip those brushes in a glass filled with melted oil, making sure that the oil coats them thoroughly. Remove the old product by swirling the brushes on a wash cloth or paper towel, rinse with warm water then dry.
62. Grease baking pans. Spread coconut oil on the pan before baking to ensure that the product does not stick to it.
63. Maintain lawn mower blades. Clean first the lawn mower blades then apply a thin film of coconut oil. This will prevent grass from sticking and clumping together, making the blades work more smoothly.
64. Give plants a shine. Apply few drops of coconut oil on your favorite plant’s leaves to not only make them look healthy, but to also prevent dust from sticking to them. Reapply as needed to keep that lasting shine.
65. Cheekbone highlighter. Emphasizing those cheekbones makes one more attractive. This can easily be done by applying a few drops of coconut oil like any other cream. This will give you a beautiful and natural glow.
66. Oil for door hinges. Creaky door hinges can be disturbing and annoying. Stop this by rubbing a few drops of coconut oil on the hinges to stop the noisy squealing.
67. Beard/Mustache shaper. Style that beard by putting a bit of coconut oil to outline your desired shape.
68. Unstick a zipper. Avoid those embarrassing moments when you can’t get your zipper up by applying a few drops of coconut oil on the jammed zipper. This should get it to glide easily.
69. Clean sap. Get that sticky sap out from your treasured clothes by rubbing a few drops of coconut oil on the stain and rinsing afterwards with warm soapy water.
70. Slick your snow shovel. Snow clumping on your shovel when you are trying to clear your pathway can cause
the shovel to weigh more. To avoid this, spread a thin layer of coconut oil over the shovel. Reapply at least 1-2 times a week.
71. Dust repellent. Avoid dust from collecting on surfaces such as wood or dashboard by applying coconut oil and allowing it to dry. Contrary to popular belief, dust will not stick to the surfaces. It will also give a nice polished look.
72. Prevent plastic ware stain. Stains on these wares are bothersome. To prevent this, apply a thin layer of coconut oil and allow it to dry. This will make cleaning up easier and it also prevents the discoloration from setting in.
73. Prevent Split Ends. Applying coconut oil provides the fatty acids important to reduce breakage. Just apply a few drops to affected ends to avoid oily hair.
74. Homemade teething “gel”. Rubbing coconut oil over the gums helps lessen irritation that comes with teething. You can add cloves to coconut oil to add an analgesic effect.
75. Food poisoning relief. Mix 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil with a glass of orange juice every day. This mixture not only has antiviral but also antimicrobial effect that can combat even food poisoning.
76. Rust remover. To remove stubborn rust from metals, just spread a few drops of coconut oil over the area, allow it to sit for 1-2 hours and rinse with warm water. Clean with a soft cloth afterwards and see the results!
77. Ease osteoporosis. Coconut oil has potential anti-oxidant properties that can combat the oxidative stress on bones, making them brittle. Studies have also shown that coconut oil can increase bone volume.
78. Reduce fine lines. Worried about wrinkles? Coconut oil has fatty acids that increase collagen cross linking that can lessen the appearance of fine lines. Just apply a few drops of coconut oil on those fine lines twice daily and see the difference.
79. Remedy for dry canine nose. Rub a drop or two on your dog’s nose to lessen the cracking.
80. Improve circulation. Drinking coconut oil increases the level of HDL or the “good cholesterol” which neutralizes the effect of high levels of LDL or the “bad cholesterol”, which is the one that makes blood more viscous. This in turn, improves circulation. Start with drinking ½ tablespoon a day, increasing it to 1 tablespoon.
81. Addition to baby’s bath. Keep baby’s skin smooth and supple by adding a few drops of coconut oil to his bath. Not only will it moisturize but also relieve rashes, bites or scrapes, too.
82. Add-on to sunscreen. Coconut oil has only an SPF of 4-6, so it cannot stand alone. However, when added to sunscreen, it can help moisturize skin and even prevent peeling and itching.
83. Prevent angular chelitis. Manifestations of Angular Chelitis includes cracks and splits in the corners of the mouth, a conducive environment for fungus growth. This can be prevented by rubbing a few drops of coconut oil in the affected area 2 to 3 times daily.
84. Breath Freshener. Gargle a teaspoonful of coconut oil until it melts, swishing or swallowing after. Coconut oil has antibacterial properties that can get rid of the bacteria that cause bad breath.
85. Prevent and soothe hangnails. Applying a few drops of coconut oil around the edges of your nail keeps the surrounding skin moisturized and soft, preventing hangnails. It has also anti-inflammatory properties that can lessen the pain.
86. Detail your Car. You can use coconut oil to keep the interior shiny and reduce the appearance of little scratches on your car’s paint.
87. Cleaning dogs ears. First wipe the external ear of your dog with a moist cotton ball, and then gently rub in some coconut oil to help keep the skin itch-free and moisturized.
88. Ink cleaner. Don’t fret over those nasty stains ink stains on your hands. Just rub a little coconut oil, allow it to stay for 2 minutes, then wipe with a clean dry cloth.
89. Lessen a dry, hacking, cough. A dry hacking cough can be caused by an irritation of the throat. Swallowing a teaspoon of coconut oil can help coat the throat and protect it from irritants such as dust. It is especially effective over water, which only causes temporary relief.
90. Preserve eggs. Coat the eggs with a thin film of coconut oil to extend its shelf-life. The oil prevents the shell from being degraded by oxygen, even up to 3 weeks after storage, comparatively more effective than using glycerol.
91. Add-on to toothpaste. Tired of your old toothpaste? Add flavor by mixing coconut oil to baking soda as your DIY toothpaste. This not only has antibacterial properties, but can whiten teeth too.
92. Retainer of mouth guard cleaner. Just rub a little bit of coconut oil into your retainer or mouth guard after rinsing it at night to make use of its antibacterial and antifungal properties. It will not only help keep it clean, but it will also give you a pleasant taste in your mouth.
93. Bee sting soother. Apply a few drops on the affected area after removing the stinger. It will reduce the inflammation. You can also add a drop of lavender essential oil to add to its soothing effect.
94. Eye bags remover. Before going to sleep, rub a little coconut oil under your eyes to lessen puffiness and the dark color around your eyes when you get up I the morning.
100. Fade age spots. Want to lessen the appearance of age spots? It’s easy. Just apply a few drops of coconut oil on these areas daily to help fade them.
101. Constipation relief and prevention. To prevent constipation, you can take a tablespoon of coconut oil every morning. Remember to take this on an empty stomach. For acute constipation, take 2 tablespoons.
102. Dry nostrils. Dry nostrils predisposes to irritation. To prevent this, rub a few drops of coconut oil on the internal part of each nostril to help moisturize them.
103. Summer day dog treats. On a hot summer day, give your dog a cool treat by mixing some peanut butter with coconut oil, then freezing it into cubes.
104. Aromatherapy. You can mix a variety of essential oils to coconut oil to help ease stress or nausea. Some mix peppermint and eucalyptus to relieve headaches and tension, and citrus fruits such as lemon or lime to alleviate nausea.
105. Reduce hair balls. Anecdotal evidence supports the use of coconut oil to reduce hair balls. Just rub a tad amount of coconut oil on your cat’s paws to also improve digestion.
106. Popcorn topping. Melt a little coconut oil and top it on your popcorn. You may add a pinch of salt to give it more flavor.
107. Replacement for butter on toast. Want a toast with a twist? Spread some coconut oil, instead of butter, on your toast and taste the difference.
108. Prevent lice. Dip a fine-toothed comb on coconut oil and run through hair to remove lice and nits.
109. DIY vapor rub. Just mix coconut oil with peppermint essential oil and rub it beneath your nose or chest when you feel nasal congestion. It’s a natural and effective way to clear out stuffiness to help you breathe and sleep better through the night.
110. Base oil. Coconut oil is definitely a good base oil as its consistency and texture enables other components to stick together, like in lip balms, lotions and body butters. Add to that its’ amazing moisturizing and antibacterial properties.
111. Cutting board conditioner. Moisten a soft cloth with coconut oil, wipe the board and allow it to stay for 15 minutes. Wipe with a new cloth to see the results. You can also add a few drops of lemon essential oil to help hasten the removal of odors.
112. Aids absorption. Fat present in coconut oil has been shown to help in the absorption of vitamins, minerals and amino acids
113. Gum health. Just mix a drop of oregano with coconut oil and apply on gums.
114. Hair growth. Apply a few drops of coconut oil to promote hair growth.
115. Treat yeast infection. Anecdotal evidence supports the use of coconut oil to eradicate yeast infection. Dip a tampon on coconut oil and insert it for a few hours.
116. Prevent flaky elbows. Rub a few drops of coconut oil on elbows to moisturize and prevent cracking and flaking.
117. Soothe hemorrhoids. Apply topically daily to soothe hemorrhoids.
118. Soothe itchiness. Especially on areas with chicken pox lesions, applying a thin amount of coconut oil can help soothe itchiness.
119. Coffee creamer. Coconut oil acts as an emulsifier when added to coffee.
120. Treatment of burns. Apply to affected area to promote healing and prevent scarring
121. Avoid passing of smelly gas. Foul gas comes from an imbalance in the gut bacteria. Taking coconut oil, which has a mild anti-microbial property, can re-establish the healthy normal flora
122. Prevent cancer. Coconut oil has been shown to exert properties that can prevent breast and colon cancer
123. Reduce risk (or effect) of alzheimer’s. Studies show that 2 teaspoons daily can improve cognitive function in those with this condition.
124. Energy booster. Some can vouch that taking coconut oil boost mental alertness and increase energy and stamina.
125. Canine atopic dermatitis. Give your dog ½ teaspoon a day, increasing it to 1 tablespoon for a dog weighing 40 lbs and up.
126. Avoid chlorine exposure. Apply a thin film before swimming to avoid too much chlorine exposure
127. Promote nail growth. Apply on cuticle to stimulate nail growth
128. Soothing Body Balm. Mix shea butter with coconut oil to make that soothing body balm
129. Exfoliating body scrub. Coconut oil serves as a base in this body scrub. You can easily make one by melting down some coconut oil and mixing with sugar. Allow to cool.
130. Leather polish. Clean the leather first then apply a small amount of coconut oil with a circular motion. Buff with a soft cloth afterwards.
131. Soap scum remover. Put a small amount of coconut oil to the soap scum then allow to stay for 20 minutes. Brush with a sponge afterwards.
132. Season cast iron pans. Spread a thick layer inside the pan and allow the coating to stay in the oven for an hour or two under 250-350 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the pan, let cool and wipe out excess oil.
133. Small motor lubricant. Apply a few drops of melted coconut oil to lubricate small motors, such as on blenders.
134. Cracked paw pads. Rub a small amount on the affected paw to moisturize it.
135. Arthritis pain relief. Massage a small amount to affected joints 1-2 times a day to relieve soreness.
136. Athlete’s foot treatment. Coconut oil has anti-fungal properties. Wash, thoroughly dry and apply daily on affected area.
137. Sore throat remedy. Take a small amount of coconut oil to coat your throat and to provide a soothing remedy.
138. Detangler. Smooth out those tangles by massaging with coconut oil, letting it sit for 2-3 minutes, then combing them out.
139. Cracked heels. Apply on affected area as coconut oil moisturizes and softens skin
140. Flaky scalp treatment. This does not result from having dandruff, but having a dry scalp. Applying coconut oil can provide moisture to stop this condition.